1 May 2016
FE1.1s tiny two port USB hub pcb design
High speed 2 port embedded USB hub design (FE1.1S chip)
I needed a small USB hub that could fit in tight spaces (inside the casing of a mouse or keyboard, etc). The speed is not important here, so I chose the simplest IC I could find. It also meant that the hub was very cheap to make.
If you look at the design of the PCB you might notice that I had no idea what I was doing when I was designing it. The through holes for connecting it are in no particular layout (I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t fit headers) and there are a lot of right angle turns on the traces. It is safe to say, that I would do it differently if I
- FE1.1s chip (I could not find it on digikey, but aliexpress had plenty on offer for as low as $5 for 10 pieces)
- 10uf (106) 0603 capacitor (x3) (digikey has plenty of them, but for prototyping purposes I got a pack of 2000 capacitors of variable values from aliexpress, which only cost me around $5 including shipping via registered post. It takes a while to get stuff from aliexpress (digikey delivers very fast), but it’s much cheaper)
- 0.1uf (104) 0603 capacitor (x2) (this was included in the capacitor pack too)
- 2.7K 0603 resistor (for this I bough a similar 0603 resistor pack from aliexpress for couple of bucks)
- 12 Mhz crystal (can be bought on aliexpress or digikey, should cost $1 or less)
Download Eagle .brd and .sch files.